1) Analyze product failure data and laboratory test results in order to determine causes of problems and develop solutions.
2) Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products in order to ensure their quality.
3) Design and direct the testing and/or control of processing procedures.
4) Determine appropriate methods for fabricating and joining materials.
5) Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
6) Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration.
7) Plan and implement laboratory operations for the purpose of developing material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
8) Review new product plans and make recommendations for material selection based on design objectives, such as strength, weight, heat resistance, electrical conductivity, and cost.
9) Solve problems in a number of engineering fields, such as mechanical, chemical, electrical, civil, nuclear and aerospace.
10) Conduct training sessions on new material products, applications, or manufacturing methods for customers and their employees.
11) Design processing plants and equipment.
12) Guide technical staff engaged in developing materials for specific uses in projected products or devices.
13) Modify properties of metal alloys, using thermal and mechanical treatments.
14) Perform managerial functions such as preparing proposals and budgets, analyzing labor costs, and writing reports.
15) Plan and evaluate new projects, consulting with other engineers and corporate executives as necessary.
16) Remove metals from ores, and refine and alloy them to obtain useful metal.
17) Replicate the characteristics of materials and their components with computers.
18) Supervise the work of technologists, technicians and other engineers and scientists.
19) Sell and service metal products.
20) Teach in colleges and universities.
21) Write for technical magazines, journals, and trade association publications.
DEGREE,HND,DIPLOMA WITH CIVIL AND BT BACKGROUND AND OTHER PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE